So what needs to change?
Last week I wrote about the things that presented the biggest challenges for me right now. Trying to replicate what I did before in a very different environment hasn’t worked. New context requires new answers. I’ve spent my time off thinking about how to approach that. Here’s what I found:
- I need to diversify my exercise routine. In many ways that’s good because I dislike exercise in general and I am easily bored. Having different things to do can help keep me interested. I can do some water exercise for a few more weeks till the pool closes. (Can someone explain to me why the pool is closed at Labor Day when there is still at least a month of warm weather to come here?) I’m looking at some very basic yoga work, plus this next item.
- I need to focus more on strength exercises than I have before. In the past I’ve done mostly (almost entirely) cardio. As the body gets older you naturally begin to lose muscle mass. I need to take steps to counter that. Lean muscle mass will help lose weight. I will continue with cardio, just not exclusively.
- Drink more water. This is one area of past practice that I can go back to again. It’s easy and it helps.
- Watch what I eat. So very basic right? Making a menu, reducing portion size when eating out (get a to go box for half!), finding the joy in the kitchen again.
- Daily weigh ins. This is a change from what I had been taught for years. But a new study has come out that says that daily weighs helps lose more weight. It makes a certain kind of sense because you will keep a daily eye on any fluctuations and can adjust accordingly. So I will weigh myself every morning before breakfast instead of only Friday mornings.
- Increase accountability by tracking more of what I’m doing here. If I exercise I’ll say. If I loaf, I’ll say.
I began some of these already, so the weigh in will tell us the tale.
My resolution remains :
want to am going to be The Guy again. The Guy weighed 175 pounds and looked good and felt good. And his blood pressure was good and his blood tests were good.
Watch my activity at my Fitbit page
The next milestone is getting back below 195. I will get there and go on.
Official Weigh In Weight
Weight Change this week – -0.6 pounds
Total Weight Loss To Date – 0.6 pounds
Goal Weight and Total to Lose – 175/25